The De Leon Free Press


DeLeon, Comanche County, Texas, February 21, 1930


Carried Part of Pipe Stem in His Tongue 14 Months

            The Free Press has just heard of an odd injury, sustained by J.M. WHITLOCK, De Leon, Rt. 4 man, several months ago.  Mr. WHITLOCK was in the Free Press office Thursday morning and related the particulars.

            It was in October 1927 that he was working with a hay baler with a number of other men near Downing.  The machine was being hoisted by a heavy jack.  One of the legs of the jack slipped out of place and flew upward, striking WHITLOCK under the chin.  He had a pipe in his mouth at the time and the force of the blow broke off the stem and threw it several yards.  After it was all over, he still held the celluloid stem in his mouth.  Even this was broken.

            To make a long story short, Mr. WHITLOCK suffered torture with his tongue and the glands in the upper part of his throat for months.  He was in Gorman Sanitarium and thought he was going to die.  His tongue was lanced many times.  But it was fourteen months later when a surgeon located and removed the nub of the pipe stem, which had been embedded in his tongue and caused all his trouble.  Even yet, Mr. WHITL”OCK has trouble with his tongue and believes particles of the celluloid are embedded in it.  However, the substance is transparent and the x-ray fails to show it.

Suez Man Broke Leg in Odd Manner Near Fisher Well

            Homer RANDOLPH and Vol LOUDERMILK were going from their homes in the Fisher well on foot one day last week.  Coming to Copperas creek, Mr. RANDOLPH jumped from the bank, down to the creek bed and in so doing broke both bones of his leg between the knee and ankle.  Mr. LOUDERMILK assisted him to where aid could be had, and a physician was called.  The injured man was taken to Gorman and the bone set under x-ray.  He is recovering.

G.M. Strickland is at Home and Recovering

            Friends of G.M. (Mose) STRICKLAND are glad to know that he is now home from Dallas where he underwent a major operation at Baptist Sanitarium.  He returned home last Saturday night, coming via the T.A.P. in Eastland, then home in Higginbotham’s ambulance.  He stood the trip nicely and while very weak from his operation, is on the road to recovery.

Leland Nabors at Home after Illness of Several Months

            Leland NABORS, son of R.T. NABORS and captain of the De Leon high school football team the past two years, is at home again after spending two months, a week, and three days in the hospital.  NABORS suffered a peculiar injury, probably because of a strain in lifting some heavy weight, and an operation was necessary.  He was so ill that his life was endangered. 

For weeks following the operation, he hovered between life and death.

            Three weeks ago the hospital authorities at Gorman pronounced NABORS able to be removed to his home.  He is slowly recovering.  He is now able to stand, and gets about by the aid of crutches.  It is believed he will ultimately fully regain his former good health and strength.

Mrs. J.H. Strube Injured in Fall at New Hope Sunday

            Mrs. J.H. STRUBE was injured in a fall of a few feet from the platform entrance at the New Hope church at the eleven o’clock worship hour last Sunday.  In the accident she sustained an injury to one of her lower limbs from which she will be confined to her bed for some time.  The limb was sprained in the knee and ankle joints, and the injury is both painful and serious.  Physicians have attended her during the week and report her condition as satisfactory, however her recovery will be slow.

            Mrs. STRUBE was visiting in the home of her daughter, Mrs. John LIGHTFOOT, when the accident occurred and is remaining in the LIGHTFOOT home during her convalescence.

Birthday Party

            Virginia EASTERLING, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L.W. EASTERLING, entertained her little friends Thursday afternoon, February 13, with a party celebrating her seventh birthday.  Pictures of the group were taken and favors were distributed among the little guests.  Several contests were held before refreshments were served.  Invitations were sent to the following:

            Allie Belle HUDSON, Bettie Jean VAN ZANDT, Alvina BARTON, Mary Jean VAUGHN, Mary Frances ELLIS, Olive Jean LEIGON, Billie Jo STRINGFELLOW, Mary Jean NEWTON, Billie Jo HOLLEMAN, Katherine MORTON, Gene MORTON, Zelda BUCHAN, Nancy D. ROSS, Josie Beth ALLEN, Gladys CULPEPPER, Geraldine BENTLY.

Miss Ruth Harvey Honored with Shower

            One of the prettiest parties of the season was given Friday afternoon, February 14, from four to six, by Mesdames Everett HANSFORD, John WEAVER and Miss Doris AYERS, honoring Miss Ruth HARVEY, bride to be, at the home of Mrs. HANSFORD.

            The decoration, games, prizes, and refreshment carried out the Valentine motif.  At the conclusion of several very interesting games, Miss HARVEY was presented with a lovely array of gifts.

            Assisting the hostesses in serving were Misses Christine AYERS, Marion and Grace SHORT and Blanche HANSFORD.

            The guest list included Mesdames: Dewey DANIELL, Bonner NABORS, R.L. SCOTT, L.W. EASTERLING, H.H. CARLILE, Montie DAVIS, J.T. EDMONDSON, Archie LEE, Johnnie NUNNELLEY, A.P. SCHMIDT, J.H. GRIZZELLE, W.E. LOWE, J.A. MOHON, A.K. BENDER, Joe ASHBY, R.F. SNEAD, R.L. HALL, Arch HANSFORD, K.M. VAN ZANDT, A.W. McIVER, B.W. AYERS, R.R. HARVEY and Misses Christine AYERS, Blanche HANSFORD, Grace, Marion and Phyllis SHORT, Mary Louise GRIZZELLE, Lillian and Iris MOHON, Pauline BILLS, Virginia WESSON, Roger Mae SMITH, Evelyn COX, Evelyn KINCHEN, Frances and Ruth HARVEY and little Miss Darleen VAN ZANDT.


            Deward Debbs ECHOLS and Miss Effie TAYLOR were happily united in the Holy bonds of matrimony Sunday, February 9th at 8:00 p.m. in the home of Rev. A.F. NABORS.  The bride is the lovable daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.T. TAYLOR, who moved from Elk City, Okla., two years ago and are now residents of the Oliver Springs community.  The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. H.S. ECHOLS, who have been residents of this community eighteen years.

            The happy couple expect to make their home in the Rucker community for the coming year.  Their many friends wish them much happiness as they journey through life together.


            Rush GEORGE and Miss Ella LAMBERT were happily united in marriage Friday, Feb. 7, at the home of the bride’s parents in Abilene.  R.W. BAXTER, president of Abilene Christian College, was the officiating minister.

            Mrs. GEORGE is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.H. LAMBERT of Abilene, and is an accomplished young lady with many friends.  Mr. GEORGE is the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. H.O. GEORGE and was reared to young manhood here.  He is ambitious and has many excellent traits of character. 

            Their romance began while they were students in Abilene Christian College.  His many friends here wish for them a full measure of happiness.  They will be at home in Abilene.

De Leon Woman Went by Plane to West Coast

            Mrs. F.L. RANDALL is home from Dunsmuir, Calif., where she went some two weeks ago in response to a message telling of the sudden death of her mother, Mrs. Bessie L. GORDON.  Mrs. RANDALL went by bus to El Paso and there took a tri-motored plane to Los Angeles, being eight hours in the air, and arrived at Dunsmuir before the burial of her mother, which occurred Jan. 24th at Cypress Lawn Cemetery in San Francisco.

Aged Comanche Co. Pioneer Celebrates 87th Birthday

            Aunt Mary REED, who lives on the old Home farm 8 miles northeast of Comanche, Texas was agreeably surprised Sunday morning, Feb. 16, when her children and grand children began to arrive and unload great baskets and boxes of “grub” and told grandma that they had come to spend the day with her because it was her birthday.

            By 11:00 o’clock a.m. cars were parked all around the yard and 36 children, grandchildren and great grandchildren were in the house and yard romping and having a big time.

            Grandma is the wife of the late R.W. REED, who passed out of this life in 1920 at the age of 80 years.  They came from Washington County, Ark. in 1885 and settled near the mouth of Rush Creek in this county, and have continuously resided there for more than 44 years.

            Grandma has reared eight children:  John H. HARRIS of Comanche, Texas, R.H. REED of De Leon; D.Y. REED, of Hasse, Texas; Miss Lillie REED of Comanche, Texas; C.O. REED of Stamford, Texas; Mrs. Minnie GILL of Loveland, Texas; H.C. and L.A. REED of Comanche, Texas, all of which were present except Mrs. Minnie GILL.

            Grandma has 31 grandchildren, 18 of which were present, and 13 great grandchildren, 11 of whom were present.  The day was spent in a social way, talking and relating things that happened in pioneer days, the hardships and troubles; and also the happiness and pleasure.

            In addition to the children and the grandchildren, there were several friends present.  Among them were J.D. SWEARINGEN and wife, who have lived 42 years within a quarter of a mile of Grandma and J.D. says he reckons he is some kin by now.

            At 12 o’clock the gong sounded for dinner and 66 people were fed from an improvised table that was loaded with good things to eat.  The afternoon was spent so pleasantly, that it was late before anyone said anything about going home and the women said we would have to eat supper in order to “clean up” what was left from dinner so all gathered around the table and had another enjoyable meal before leaving for home.

            We hope Grandma has many more birthdays like this!


Mr. and Mrs. Frank SINGLETON and baby of Ralls, Texas, are here this week visiting his father, J.S. SINGLETON.  Uncle Dock accompanied them to Cisco Thursday to visit Mr. MORELAND, who continues very ill.

Mrs. A.E. HAMPTON, who has been ill the past two weeks is recovering.

Mrs. Pat DUNN, mother of Mrs. C. SCHNARE, left recently to visit daughters at Beeville and Refugio.

C.L. KINCHEN, Jr. of Abilene was a weekend guest of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.L. KINCHEN.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank McCRUM and son, Billie Joe of Putnam, were weekend visitors with her parents, Mr. Mr. and Mrs. J.L. VAUGHN.

Mr. and Mrs. C.O. FIELDS and family of Sweetwater were guests Sunday of Mrs. John WARE.  Mrs. FIELDS and Mrs. WARE are sisters.

Mr. and Mrs. Walter JACKSON of Walnut Springs, were here last week visiting her sister, Mrs. L.B. CULPEPPER.

Misses Florence PILCHER and Nerine DONOHUE of Abilene were weekend guests of their parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.L. PILCHER and Mr. and Mrs. J.A. DONOHUE.

Mrs. Emma KING, formerly of Chicago, who has been visiting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Wash MULL, left Sunday for Brawley, Calif. to be with her daughter, Miss Cecile KING, a registered nurse, who has a position as school nurse.  After the school is closed, they will make their home in Los Angeles where Miss Cecile has a position in the public schools.

Mrs. Dudley SINGLETON is seriously ill with bronchial pneumonia.  Her condition is such as to cause much apprehension.

Mrs. Cecil COONER of Ft. Worth was here this week, visiting in the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. D.P. LLOYD.

A.C. DODSON, son of Mrs. Mary E. DODSON, was here recently.  He was moving household effects from Cross Plains to their new home, Corpus Christi.

Rev. and Mrs. Carl STEWART of Olney are guests of her mother, Mrs. Ora CRANE.

Mrs. Luther STEWART and children of Iraan, are visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. H.S. FREEMAN.

Rev. John NOEL of Gunsite has come to De Leon to make his home with his son, S.K. NOEL and family.  Rev. NOEL was a pioneer resident here and his many friends welcome him back.

Robinson Springs

Lockhart ELY is building a picket fence around his garden to protect it from the high winds and rabbits.

Elmer SHORT of this place recently had a knee thrown out of place.  Mr. SHORT says he suffered much from the accident, but thinks his knee is gradually improving.

James LITTLE went to Huckabay this past weekend to help his father lay off terraces.

Miss Ella YOUNG of De Leon was a guest last week with her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. LOGSDON of this place.


More feed will be raised in this community than is usually raised.  O.S. ROBBINS and G.E. RILEY are sowing a considerable acreage, also E.F. JOINER has sowed a larger acreage than usual.

A.L. McANALLY has recently sold his property near the school building and is planning to go to Mississippi where he formerly lived.

Mrs. John WHITE of Salem spent Sunday visiting with her sister, Mrs. Lizzie WINNEGAR.

Mrs. Sylvia WHITE spent several days this week visiting with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. R.P. LEWIS.

W.N. KOONCE received a message from his daughter, Mrs. Arthur BRAZELL Saturday, informing him of the serious illness of Mr. BRAZELL.  Mr. KOONCE left immediately for Santa Anna where Mr. BAZELL had undergone an operation.  While still in a serious condition, he is reported to have a good chance for recovery.  His many friends here hope for his early recovery.

Mrs. Nellie GREGORY of Brownwood is spending this week with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. O.S. ROBBINS.

Dick STURDIVANT had the misfortune to have a fire break out at his home last Monday morning.  Through the help of J.T. VARNER and other neighbors, the house was saved but was considerably damaged.

Thomas ROBBINS of McCamey is spending his vacation with his brother, O.S. ROBBINS and family.

Ras ROBBINS, whose home is in McCamey, underwent a minor operation at the Blackwell Sanitarium Monday morning.  He has recovered rapidly and is now recuperating at the home of his brother, O.S. ROBBINS.

S.A. JOHNSON and family visited his brother, C.M. JOHNSON of Wayland Sunday.

Raymond HUGHES, a pupil in the primary department, is on the sick list this week.

Mrs. D.C. GUTHRIE and daughter of Brownwood, spent the past week visiting with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. O.S. ROBBINS.

Miss Audra LANE of Eden, who has been visiting her mother, Mrs. W.A. LANE, has returned to her home.

Oliver Springs

C.V. is the name of the handsome young son of Mr. and Mrs. HAMMET, who have recently moved on the farm of R.C. ATCHISON.  The little one arrived Feb. 7, with a start of ten pounds.  All are doing nicely.

Mr. and Mrs. G.H. REED and family were in Hasse Sunday attending a birthday party given in honor of Mrs. REED, mother of G.H. REED.

A party was given the young folks here by Mr. and Mrs. D.P. LINDLEY Friday night.  The main event of the party was the excellent music furnished by C.G. MORTON.

The intermediate pupils were taught by Lester HIGGINBOTHAM of Gorman the past week.  Mrs. PERRY received a message stating that her mother had suddenly died at Eastland, Monday, Feb. 10.


Mrs. Vada CLIFTON is visiting her daughters, Mrs. B.H. MACON and Miss Gwendola, at Dallas.

Willie MILLER spent the weekend with his sister, who lives at Mineral Wells.


Alvin BOYKIN of Oglesby is here visiting his brother, J.N. BOYKIN and family.

Eloise HODGES has been absent from school this week on account of an attack of appendicitis.

Mrs. B.L. PAINTER entertained with a combined birthday and Valentine party on Friday afternoon from 4:00 to 6:00 o’clock in honor of her daughter Christine’s twelfth birthday.

After the games were played, the thirty or more guests gathered around the birthday cake, which was lighted with twelve birthday candles.  Refreshments of hot chocolate and heart cookies were served to the guests.


©2004,2005 Judith Michaels.  This transcription is the generous work of Judy Michaels taken from microfilm held by the Newspaper Collection of the University of Texas at Austin with a microfilm copy at Comanche Public Library.  The information may be used for personal research only and not for commercial purposes without specific permission.