The De Leon Free Press


DeLeon, Comanche County, Texas, January 24, 1930


Comyn Man is Dead as Result of Gun Shot Wound

            Elmer SPRUILL, 40, almost life-long resident of the Comyn section, is dead as a result of a gun-shot wound, alleged to have been self inflicted, at his home shortly after noon last Monday.  No one knows in just what manner he met his death, according to the tragic story told by his wife, since he was alone in the house, she having gone to drive some hogs away from a stack of peanuts nearby.  Mrs. SPRUILL states, the Free Press is told, that while she was out of the house she heard the discharge of the gun and hurried back, finding her husband lying dead on the floor.  Later it was learned that the gun had been discharged over the heart, tearing an ugly hole into his body.  Officers called to the scene stated that the muzzle of the gun, a 12-guage double barrel shot-gun, must have been very near his body when discharged, as there was evidence of powder burns.  Only one barrel was discharged.

            The man is alleged to have been suffering from rheumatism of a malignant nature, his father before him having died a number of years ago, of the same malady.  It is possible that he dreaded the suffering of long years he had seen his father endure, and some advance this as a reason for his alleged act of self-destruction.

            The SPRUILLs lived a mile west of Comyn, owning a farm adjoining the railroad, about four miles from De Leon.  Mrs. SPRUILL is a daughter of H.B. PAINTER, who resides seven miles southwest of De Leon.  Both families are highly respected and prominent.  Three children, all in grammar school age, survive.  They were in school at Comyn when the unfortunate incident occurred.

            Funeral and burial was at Comyn cemetery at 2:30 o’clock Wednesday, January 22nd, Rev. Gordon BARRETT, pastor of the Comanche Baptist church conducting the service.

Mrs. G.L. Lee Died at her New Hope Home Jan. 22

            News of the death of Mrs. G.L. LEE came to friends in town late Wednesday afternoon, she having passed away at her home near New Hope at 5:00 p.m. that day.  She had been long a sufferer with that dread scourge, tuberculosis, and for many months had lain waiting for the summons which she knew to be inevitable.  Relatives have kept faithful watch by her bedside, doing what was possible to comfort her and administer to her wants.

            Mrs. LEE believes that she has been afflicted with the malady for some eight years, since the death of her daughter with the disease, but its ravages only in the last year succeeded in breaking down a strong constitution which was characteristic of her.  She reared a family of six girls and two boys, three of the girls having passed on before her.  Her husband died some two years ago.  Mrs. LEE was about 60 years of age.

            The Free Press is not in possession of further detailed information, which it is hoped may be presented later.

            The funeral service was at the Christian church in this city at 4:00 o’clock p.m. Thursday, Rev. ALEXANDER of Cisco, pastor, conducting.  Burial was at De Leon cemetery.

Little Georgana Cook Died Last Saturday

            Little Georgana, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T.J. COOK, was born Dec. 4th, 1927 and died January 18th, 1930.  Her brief life’s span numbered two years, a month and fourteen days during which time she brought joy to the hearts of her parents and a ray of sunshine into the home with her baby smiles and adorable baby ways.  The love of the members of the family had entwined about the tiny form just as babies have been loved and adored since time was.  The same deep pangs of grief were felt when disease fastened upon the little form, then death came.

            It is indeed sad to lose such a tiny treasure and many friends deeply sympathize with the family in their sorrow.  Lives are always richer and fuller for having loved and sacrificed, and losses like this but draw one nearer to the Father’s presence.

            A brief funeral service was held at the family residence last Sunday afternoon at four o’clock.  Burial was delayed for the arrival of Worth, eldest son of the COOKs, from New Orleans, and because of the intense cold.  The little form was laid to rest at Walnut Springs Thursday afternoon – “a delicate flower budded to earth to bloom in heaven.”

Grandfather of Mrs. D.M. Russell Died at Age 95

            Prof. D.M. RUSSELL and family were out of the city Monday, attending the funeral of Mrs. RUSSELL’s grandfather, J.A. CLARK, who died at Dallas Sunday at the advanced age of 95 years.  The Dallas News of Monday carried the following story regarding his death:

            James O.A. CLARK, 95, one of the oldest Masons in the State and a Confederate veteran, died Sunday at the home of a daughter, Mrs. J.H. HICKS, 3548 McFarlin Boulevard.  The body was sent overland Sunday night to Stephenville, where service took place Monday, the Rev. E.W. BRIDGES of that town and Rev. HELMS of Huckabay officiating.

            Mr. CLARK was a member of the Masonic lodges for seventy-four years.  He had also been a member of the Methodist church for eighty-four years.  Four of his sons are Methodist ministers and two of his daughters are married to Methodist ministers.  As a member of Vaiden’s artillery, Mr. CLARK fought through 4 years of the Civil War, enlisting in 1861 and serving under Capt. BAINES in Mississippi.

            Surviving Mr. CLARK are five daughters, Mrs. G. STEWART, Plainview; Mrs. W.C. KENNY, Stephenville; Mrs. W.W. KNOWLES, Clayton, N.M.; Mrs. A.W. CHILDERS, Houston; Mrs. HICKS, Dallas; six sons, M.W., Red Oak; J. Warren, Idalou; H.B., Haslet; C.A., Prescott, Ariz.; O.P., Sweetwater; V.C., Wellington; forty-one grandchildren and fifteen great-grandchildren.

Mrs. F.L. Randall Suffered Stroke of Paralysis Recently

            Mrs. F.L. RANDALL is now able to be up following a stroke of paralysis which she suffered recently, the effect of the stroke lasting some twelve hours.  This is the third attack she has suffered within the past year.

Father of Mrs. W.S. Snead Died Here Sunday

            Lorenzo Dow LILES, father of Mrs. W.S. SNEAD, died at the home of his daughter in this city, at 11:50 o’clock Sunday, January 19, and his remains were laid to rest at Pleasant Valley cemetery, near Mangum, on Monday following, Rev. Montie A. DAVIS conducting the service.  Mr. LILES had been ill at the home of his daughter for the past two months. 

            Mr. LILES was born in Murray county, Tenn., October 30, 1852, being past 78 years of age.  He moved to Arkansas in 1871, and came to Texas, living in Bell county until 1875 when he moved to Eastland county.

            He married Mrs. C.A. JONES in 1887, and to them were born six children, five surviving him.  Mrs. SNEAD, a daughter, and J.M. JONES, a step-son, reside in this city.  His faithful wife also survives to mourn his passing.  He has four brothers surviving, also 25 grand children and three great grand children.

New Feed Mill Will be Ready for Service Soon

            M.E. RHOADES, late of Stephenville, is installing machinery for a modern feed mill in the Streety Warehouse building next location east from the Smith Drygoods store.  Mr. RHOADES would have been ready for operation before this but for delay in getting necessary machinery in.  This is expected to arrive and the mill put in operation by February 1st.

            Mr. RHOADES is a native of Bluff Dale, but lived in Stephenville, where he engaged in the feed business the past three years.

            The new mill will be equipped with the most modern electrically driven machines, hammer type mill and mixing drums, etc.  It will be his policy to purchase all the feed locally the farmers have to offer.  Wheat products, maize, etc. will be shipped in.  He will do custom grinding also.

            Accompanying Mr. RHOADES from Stephenville, is Harvey RAMPHLEY, who will assist in the operation of the mill.  Mr. RAMPHLEY has had a number of years experience.

Mrs. Jetton Entertains Members of Rook Club

            Mrs. W.T. JETTON was hostess to members and invited guests of the Rook Club, at her home Thursday, January 16th.  High Score went to Mrs. H.H. CARLILLE.  The hostess served a salad plate to the following:


Miss Greenwaldt is Married to Proctor Man

            Miss Willie Maude GREENWALDT, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L.L. GREENWALDT, was married on Friday evening, January 17, to Mr. Wm. M. GUYGER, of Proctor, Texas.  The young couple braved zero weather to drive to the home of the bride’s grandfather, Rev. A.F. NABORS, where in the presence of his family and her mother, Miss Willie Maude and Mr. GUYGER were made man and wife.

            The romance which had such a happy culmination began when Miss GREENWALDT taught in the Proctor schools, a position she held for two years.  She now teaches in the Duster schools.  They will make their home in Proctor, reports say.

            Both these are most excellent young people.  The young man is of excellent character, industrious and of high ambition in the community where he has resided for a number of years.  Miss GREENWALDT was reared in this community, and graduated from De Leon schools, attended college at Texas Womans College and has since taught.  Their many friends wish for them greatest happiness and success as they journey through life together.

Boyd Sharp and Miss Bartlett are Married

            Last Sunday afternoon, in the parlors of the First Baptist Church at Dallas, Boyd SHARP and Miss Theresa BARTLETT were married, the Rev. Dr. TRUETT performing the wedding ceremony.  The marriage was witnessed by Mr. and Mrs. C.H. SHARP and children of this city, and Mr. and Mrs. BARTLETT, parents of the bride, of Malakoff, Texas.

            Miss BARTLETT was reared in Malakoff, educated at Baylor College at Belton and taught there after finishing the course, later going to Columbia University, New York, for her Master’s Degree.  SHARP, after finishing De Leon high school, took his degree from Arizona State University at Tuscon, and went to New York where he started in the employ of a theatre, working up to a responsible position rapidly.  Miss BARTLETT and SHARP saw much of each other during the past two years in New York.

            Lately, Mr. SHARP was transferred to Dallas by the Publix Theatre Corp. as assistant manager of the Palace Theatre in that city.  The young people will make their home in Dallas.

De Leon Boy Hurt in Oklahoma Accident

            The Free Press has the following clipping from the Fletcher (Okla.) Herald, which is self-explanatory:

            Saturday night a runaway horse on which Lester LOGSDON of De Leon, Texas, was riding, collided with a car about three-fourths of a mile north of town in which were riding Karl CABLE, Orville CABLE and Glen BOWEN.  The bridle came off the horse as the boy left Fletcher, so he had no control over him, but held the bridle in his hand.

            The horse went over the fender and steering wheel of the car and two of the boys were knocked unconscious.  Some stitches had to be taken to close wounds in Glen BOWEN’s face and the knot in his necktie was cut in two by the glass.  The LOGSTON boy was also bruised considerably. 

Mrs. D.P. Lloyd Had Serious Operation

            Mrs. D.P. LLOYD underwent a serious operation at Blackwell Sanitarium at Gorman early this week.  Late Wednesday she had not come out from under the influence of the anesthetic which was the last information the Free Press had.  Her children from Waco, Ft. Worth and Breckenridge, are at her bedside.

Local News

Z.C. STEAKLEY of Sweetwater, was visiting in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.L. STEAKLEY, on Sunday past.

Arl LIGHTFOOT, who has been working at railroading in Kansas, returned home this week.

Worth J. COOK, son of Mr. and Mrs. T.J. COOK, arrived home Monday night in response to a message telling of the death of little Georgana, baby daughter of the COOKs, who died Saturday night.

Mr. and Mrs. H.C. MORRIS have returned from Chicago where MORRIS has been attending an electrical school for the past six months.  They will spend a few days with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Will MORRIS.  MORRIS finished with the highest grade in his class.  He will try to place in west Texas.


Mr. and Mrs. A.W. SALYER and daughter of Hamlin are visiting with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jesse L. HUGHES.

George HUGHES, who has been making his home at Hamlin for the past several months, is visiting with his parents this week.

Mrs. J.J. BROWN of Gorman spent Sunday with Mrs. W.A. LANE, who has recently moved to this community.

Evelyn LANE is a new pupil in the school at this place.

Audra LANE of Eden, Texas, is at home for a visit with her mother, Mrs. W.A. LANE.


Mrs. Loy BOWEN received a message stating the death of her aunt, Mrs. Sallie GILMORE at De Leon Saturday.

Mrs. J.F. DYSON is on the sick list.

Mr. and Mrs. Edd MILLER attended the funeral of Mrs. GILMORE Sunday in De Leon.


Mr. and Mrs. V.O. GODDARD and baby of Bell, California, arrived a few days ago to visit with her mother, Mrs. Effie BARNES and family.

Mr. and Mrs. Elmer MAYES and children of Graham are visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.W. EASLEY and family.

Mr. and Mrs. Calvin CARAWAY and baby of Big Lake are visiting this week with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. E. HAVIS and Mr. and Mrs. L.G. CARAWAY.

Mr. and Mrs. D.R. McCOUN and children of Skidmore attended the funeral of Elmer SPRUILL Wednesday.

Mrs. N.H. FLOYD, who has been ill for some time is reported improving.

Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence CAPPS and family recently of San Saba, have moved to a residence on the S.F. KINNARD farm.

H.J. MOORE and daughter, Miss Mary Edna, went to Alvarado Friday to visit his brother, Alex MOORE and family.  Miss Alice MOORE, who had been visiting in her uncle’s home during the past month, returned with her father and sister on Sunday afternoon.

Little Shirley PULLEY, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.E. PULLEY, who was stricken suddenly and was seriously ill last week seems entirely recovered and doing nicely at this time.

Mrs. A.A. HAMILTON and children have recently moved here from the New Hope community.  They are living in the residence recently vacated by Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd DICKEY.

Mr. and Mrs. D.W. COURT are the parents of a baby girl born January 11th.

J.N. BOYKIN and family visited on Sunday in the home of Mr. and Mrs. S.W. LAMINACK near Desdemona.  Miss Dixie LAMINACK returned to Comyn with them and will stay here to attend school during the remainder of this term.

Oliver Springs

Buford COGBURN made a trip to Ft. Worth last week to haul some cattle.

The small daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R.D. BAGGETT, who is at the home of G.H. BAIRD has been christened Willie Frances, since the announcement in last week’s issue.


Walter SITTON has moved to Mrs. M.M. DICKENS’ farm.

Vernon GOODSON from Strawn is visiting Elda GOODSON.

Samie MILLER, who is working at Big Springs, visited his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bill MILLER, last week.

Miss Dessie LUCAS of Huckabay is visiting her sister, Miss Bertha, this week.


©2004,2005 Judith Michaels.  This transcription is the generous work of Judy Michaels taken from microfilm held by the Newspaper Collection of the University of Texas at Austin with a microfilm copy at Comanche Public Library.  The information may be used for personal research only and not for commercial purposes without specific permission.