De Leon Free Press


DeLeon, Comanche County, Texas, Friday, February 8, 1929


Terrill Bought Lightfoot Store Continue Business

            H.G. TERRILL closed a deal with the trustee in charge of the LIGHTFOOT Hardware store, and purchased the business which he has re-opened and is operating.  Mr. TERRILL was, until recently, president and part owner of the De Leon Hardware and Furniture Co., at the E.E. DABNEY stand where he was in business the past two years.

            Mr. TERRILL has a very complete line of hardware and will add to the stock from time to time, making some changes as his judgment dictates.  His experience gained by many years of merchandising will enable him to continue the business successfully.  He invites the patronage of his friends and former customers.

Ground Broken for New Church of Christ Building

            Members of the Church of Christ are making progress with their plans to have a new church building soon.  Ground was broken last week for the foundation and it is planned to have the rock work commence soon.  The building will be constructed of native stone and the plans indicate that it will be a very attractive structure.

            The new building will be on the lot formerly occupied by the old Presbyterian church, on the corner nearest the Bills Hotel.

Former Citizen of De Leon Died Tuesday

            Tuesday last week Bill HUCKABEE, an old-time resident of this section, died at his home near Snyder.  He is a father of Jim and John HUCKABEE and of Mrs. N.J. POUNDS and Mrs. Nany SMITH of near De Leon.  Mr. HUCKABEE left De Leon about twenty years ago and moved to Scurry county, near Snyder, where he has since made his home.  He is well known to many people living in this section who have been here twenty years or more.  Merriman POUNDS and his mother and Mrs. SMITH attended the funeral service which was held at Snyder.

Wall – Hearne

            Mr. I.D. HEARNE and Mrs. Etta Belle WALL were married at Comanche by the Baptist minister on February 2nd, at 7:30 p.m.  They were accompanied by her mother, Mrs. J.A. CULPEPPER and her sister and husband, Mr. and Mrs. Henry HUDSON and Miss Gladys REED.  Mr. and Mrs. HEARNE will make their home in Mineral Wells where he is engaged in the contracting business.


            Last Sunday evening Miss Arabell SHOOP and H.F. LEWIS, both of whom live on De Leon, Rt. 5, near Ebenezer, were happily married.  Friends accompanied them to the home of Rev. and Mrs. A.F. NABORS where the ceremony was performed at eight o’clock.  Their many friends wish for them much happiness.

Malmstrom – Simmons

            The following announcement was secured by many friends of the bride the past week: Mrs. Frank POOL announces the marriage of her niece, Miss Opal SIMMONS, to Mr. Elmer MALMSTROM, on Sunday, January 6, Brownwood, Texas, at home, Brady Texas.

            The marriage ceremony was performed by Dr. Joseph S. COOK, pastor of the First Methodist Church of Brownwood at the parsonage, in the presence of only a few intimate friends.

            The bride wore an ensemble suit of maroon satin crepe with all accessories in harmony.  Her flowers, early Spring blossoms, were worn in corsage.

            The bride is a graduate of Lindale High School, also, of the Scott and White Hospital, School of Nursing, Class of 1927.  Since last September she has been residing in Brownwood, Texas.  She is a sister of Miss Pearl SIMMONS of this city and lived here for five years during which time she made many friends.  She is a niece of Mrs. Frank POOL of Lindale, Texas.

            The groom is the only son of J.D. MALMSTROM of Melvin, Texas and is a young cattleman with interests in Melvin and Brady.  He is said to be a young man of many splendid qualities, popular in a wide circle of friends.

            Immediately following the ceremony, the bride changed to her traveling dress, an ensemble suit of light grey tweed, and amid showers of good wishes from friends, they left in a new Master Buick Coupe, the gift of the groom to the bride for a month’s leisurely honeymoon trip to Detroit, Mich., and parts of interest in Indiana.  Many friends are wishing for Mr. and Mrs. MALMSTROM all happiness in their new life. – Temple Telegram.

            Misses Opal and Pearl SIMMONS will be remembered as the children of A.K. and Pearl SIMMONS, their parents dying while these children were very small.

Fred Nabors Sold Service Station to H.E. Whittle Mon.

            Last Monday a deal was closed between Fred NABORS and H.E. WHITTLE whereby Mr. WHITTLE became the owner of the Nabors Service Station.  Immediately after the deal was completed, Mr. WHITTLE took charge and is now dispensing Magnolia gasoline to the customers who frequent this popular station.  Mr. WHITTLE is one of the best automobile mechanics in this section, and the class of work he has done for automobile owners over a period of  several years has made for him many friends.  He will doubtless continue to receive the splendid patronage the public has so liberally given Fred NABORS.

            The Free Press is not at liberty this week to say what kind of business Fred NABORS will engage in, but may be able to announce his new situation next week.  He is not planning to leave the city, but to engage in another enterprise which will keep him in touch with the De Leon public.  NABORS has done mighty well with the service station since he took it in charge several months ago.

Mrs. Northcutt Follows Husband Quickly in Death.

            Mrs. Nancy C. NORTHCUTT, wife of A.M. NORTHCUTT, died here just eighteen days after the death of her husband.  His death was at 7:30 o’clock p.m. Wednesday, January 16th, and she followed him in the last long sleep on Monday, February 4th, at 10:45 p.m.  

            Grandmother NORTHCUTT was able to attend the funeral of her husband on January 16th, but soon thereafter developed an attack of influenza, in fact she had an attack of the flu about Christmas and had not fully recovered. 

            Mrs. NORTHCUTT was a true pioneer and the wife of a pioneer.  She was born in Arkansas 72 years, 7 months and 23 days prior to her death.  She moved to Somerville county, Texas when quite young and grew to young womanhood there.  She was married to A.M. NORTHCUTT there and shortly after moved to Erath county, to the Live Oak community, where her long life of service was spent, rearing a large family, and sharing in the hardships and labors incident to pioneer life.  She moved with her husband to Mitchell county 24 years ago, coming to make her home with her aged husband here in De Leon two years ago.  Her long and useful life was spent as a devout Christian, having joined the Baptist church when a young woman, living and dying in this faith.

            All her children but two were present when she died or shortly afterwards.  They are Mrs. S.A. POOL, of Lubbock; Mrs. W.A. SPENCER, O’Donnell; J.A. NORTHCUTT, San Angelo; R.L. NORTHCUTT, De Leon; J.C. NORTHCUTT, Colorado City; B. NORTHCUTT, San Angelo; Mrs. J.T. BINGHAM, O’Donnell; and Mrs. Lee EDWARDS, Moran.

            The funeral was at Live Oak cemetery Tuesday afternoon with Rev. J.N. CAMPELL conducting the services, a large number of the old neighbors and friends coming to pay their last respects and to lend their assistance in laying her body lovingly beside her husband, so lately “gone on before.”

Had Birthday Party at his Farm Home

            W.H. STRINGFELLOW came to De Leon in 1882.  “Texas Avenue” was not much more than a cow trail then.  There were three stores and a couple of hotels, as Mr. STRINGFELLOW remembers.  Down where the Lambert Hotel now stands was another hotel and saloon combined.  And Pat FERGUSON and wife were operating another hotel on the corner where the F and M National Bank now stands.  That year Mr. STRINGELLOW thinks, the Higginbotham store was started in De Leon.  The railroad came thru in 1880.  The end of the line was for a number of years at Cisco.

            STRINGFELLOW observed his sixtieth birthday on February 1st.  He was born at Talladiga, Ala., and lived in Mississippi and Arkansas several years before reaching Texas.

            Three years ago Mr. STRINGFELLOW made a fifty-fifty deal with his son-in-law, Jack LONDON, who purchased the Mose STRICKLAND farm just southwest of town.  Mr. STRINGFELLOW’s three years on the place have been most profitably spent.  There is a neat, well kept farm home with evidences of plenty around it.  But the outstanding improvement is an Elberta orchard, planted three years ago and already bearing.  There are more than 500 trees or 11 acres, however, the farm is of 40 acres.

            Friday Mr. STRINGFELLOW invited a few friends to come and visit him in his home and enjoy a birthday dinner.  Besides the various members of his family, guests were Curtis PILCHER, wife and daughter; R.L. SCOTT and Mr. and Mrs. H.B. HOLDRIDGE.

Lampasas Man is Injured When Car Crashed into Post

            Last Friday when the ground was coated with ice, a Mr. MOORE from Lampasas was returning to his home from a business visit to Dallas, driving a new Ford Coupe.  The windshield was coated with ice making a view ahead difficult.  As the driver reached the street intersection at the post office here, traveling east, a car came into the street from the right.  Mr. MOORE swerved to the left to miss the machine and crashed into a concrete post in the middle of the street.  His steering wheel was bent and his lip crushed and cut.  A De Leon physician rendered first aid.  He was not seriously hurt and soon went on his way.

Rook Club

            The Rook Club met January 24 in the home of Mrs. DAHL.  Mrs. Harold WILLIAMS won high score.  At the conclusion of the games, a business meeting was held in which two new members were elected.  Refreshments were served eleven members and a guest, Mrs. Harry WHITE of Meridian.  The club meets February 7 with Mrs. CLARK.

Comyn News From Last Week

Jesse BARKER and Doc PEARSON of Rochester spent the weekend with their relatives, Mr. and Mrs. DICKEY.

Mr. and Mrs. Kirby BARNES and children of Ranger spent Sunday with his brother, Jess BARNES and family.

E.G. THOMAS returned to his home at Everman Sunday after a few days visit with his children, Mrs. H.O. GEORGE and Ed THOMAS and families.

Mrs. B.F. BASSET of Cisco spent Sunday with her daughter, Mrs. S.F. STRUBE.

Mr. and Mrs. M.B. TEAGUE of Desdemona visited during the first part of last week with her sister, Mrs. Charley FLOYD and family.

C.O. PELL had the misfortune of losing his barn and all contents by fire on Monday of last week.

Mr. and Mrs. S.B. GEORGE are the parents of a baby boy, born Jan. 18th.


Mr. and Mrs. J.W. WALLACE have been absent from school the past few days on account of Mrs. WALLACE being very ill.

First Grade:  Billy HAYNES, George SKAGGS, Evan HOLMES, Mardine SCOTT.

Second Grade:  Mary FRANKS, Agnes JOINER, and Wiley Frank FILES.

Third: Marie SKAGGS, J.W. WALLACE Jr., Jolene ELLIOT

Fourth: Thelma SKAGGS, Else SKAGGS, Grace BROOM, Lavern SCOTT, and Merle HUDDLESTON.

Fifth:  Bernice CRAY, Laverne GREGORY, Wanda CASTLEBERRY, and James HOLMES.

Sixth: Pauline BLAIR, Herman DUKE and Neal FERRIS.

Seventh: Lavoise CASTLEBERRY, Loyd SKAGGS.

Ninth: Golden CARTER.

Tenth: Fletcher BRYON and Geneva NASH.


Mr. and Mrs. A.A. BEATY of Coleman are visiting in the home of her parents this week.

Mr. and Mrs. C.H. GARY and little son left for Big Spring last Saturday where Mr. GARY will work in the oil fields. 

Mr. J.C. FARRIS of Hico is visiting his grandmother, Mrs. NEWTON of this community.


©2004,2005 Judith Michaels.  This transcription is the generous work of Judy Michaels taken from microfilm held by the Newspaper Collection of the University of Texas at Austin with a microfilm copy at Comanche Public Library.  The information may be used for personal research only and not for commercial purposes without specific permission.