De Leon Free Press

DeLeon, Comanche County, Texas, Friday, August 31, 1928 


W.L. Blair Store Now on Market St.

            W.L. BLAIR recently opened a new store on the first floor of the Howe building on Market street, and J.D. GRAY, a son-in-law of Mr. BLAIR, is in charge.  The interior of the building has been re-arranged and painted.  The new store fixtures and stock make the place quite attractive.  The new store has been open for business for a couple of weeks.

Bell’s Barber Shop Is Now in a New Building

            When V.V. BELL gave up his location in the Howe building, he had erected a neat new building three doors further east, on Market street, where his barber business is now located and flourishing.  Mr. BELL has had workmen busy on the building until it is neat as a pin, both inside and out.

Child is Hurt as Fast Moving Car Hits Truck

            Two cars collided at “dead man’s curve” at the Gardner & Cherry corner late Monday and as a result Ralph TERRILL, 8, son of Mr. and Mrs. E.A. TERRILL, has a badly injured leg.  The child was riding on the top of some crates which were tied on the side of the Terrill Dairy milk delivery truck.  The truck was going north and had almost passed the dangerous curve when a Packard automobile being driven west at a high rate of speed approached the curve.  The driver of the Packard had the sun in his eyes and did not know of the curve.  He applied his brakes and skidded his car for many yards, lessening the force with which it crashed into the side of the Ford truck.  The crates upon which the child was riding were demolished in the crash.

            The driver of the Packard was a man named PATTERSON of Mexia, who was en route to Breckenridge.  He appeared deeply regretful of the mishap.  He was about 50 years of age.  He immediately assumed responsibility for the wreck.

            The child had one leg crushed and the other slightly lacerated.  The limb has swollen considerably, but the physicians believe he is not seriously injured.

Concrete Being Poured at Lambert Hotel Building

            Concrete for the foundation work of the new Lambert Hotel is being poured this week.  When the foundation work is completed and the old building moved, work will commence on the new Chrysler Station, immediately across the street south from the depot, which Mr. LAMBERT will have erected for W.W. WALKER.

            Mr. LAMBERT has an ideally situated lot, both for the hotel and also for the automobile sales station and gas station and garage.


            W. C. STREETY is dead.  The end came quickly following a stroke of paralysis.  The first intimation of illness came Sunday afternoon.  Monday at nine a.m. he became critically ill, lapsing into a coma from which he never rallied.  Death resulted at 10:40 o’clock Monday night.  In the language of one of those who paid him a tribute of loving expression: “know ye not that a grand man in Israel has fallen!”

            “There is nothing finer than a great life” said his former pastor, Rev. S. KIRKPATRICK, in a memorial service held Wednesday night in honor of this man whose life has meant so much to his community.  For forty-five years he aided many hundreds financially and otherwise.  He remained in business continually here longer than any other man who has ever lived in De Leon, with a possible single exception.  No fewer than thirty people paid him tribute in expressions of love at a service presided over by Rev. W.W. RICHESON Wednesday night. 

            Although an outstanding business success, W.C. STREETY without a doubt did his most valuable, lasting work through the channels of the Methodist church.  Since the early 80’s he has been aligned with the De Leon church and for thirty-five years served as Sunday school superintendent.  When he voluntarily retired to give place to a younger man some eight or ten years ago, he was unanimously elected superintendent emeritus for life.  Through the generosity of this good man the gospel has been preached, Christian education has been aided, hospitals have been helped in doing work of mercy, the message of the Christ has been carried to our foreign mission fields, and the poor and the needy have called him blessed!

            W.C. STREETY was born on December 18, 1857 in Freestone county, Texas.  A native Texas, he was a “pioneering soul” said one in paying him tribute.  His father sickened and died while serving in the Confederate army in the Civil war when [Streety] was only four years of age.  When he had reached maturity he moved to Oakwood, Texas, and came from there to De Leon, living at three places only during his life.  He was married on Jan. 26, 1881, to Miss Maggie ANDERSON who survives him.  Three daughters and one son were born into the home.  The little son, Lloyd, died at eleven years of age.  The daughters are Mrs. May WHALEY, De Leon; Mrs. H.F. RUSH, San Angelo and Mrs. A.M. PATE, San Antonio.  Mr. STREETY was an only child.  His mother died shortly after his marriage.

            Rev. W.W. RICHESON conducted the funeral service at the Methodist church at 9:30 Wednesday morning, Presiding Elder C.C. SHUGART assisting.  Many hundred came to pay their last respects.  Banks of beautiful flowers attested to the loving esteem in which he was held.  His Masonic brethren  occupied almost one-third of the main floor of the auditorium and after the church services carried his body to the “City of the Dead” where with impressive ceremony they laid it away to await the resurrection.  Peace to his ashes!

            The following relatives and friends from a distance were here for the funeral and burial, all the immediate family being present at the time of death:  Dr. and Mrs. H.P. RUSH, and little daughter, San Angelo; Mr. and Mrs. A.M. PATE, and daughter, Will S., San Antonio; Mr. and Mrs. F.E. CARTER and son Charles, of Stephenville; P.A. GATES and daughter, Leah BELL, San Antonio; Mr. and Mrs. B.R. McLAUGHLIN and two little sons, Fort Worth; Mr. and Mrs. C.D. ANDERSON and daughter, Frances, Marfa; Mr. and Mrs. John GORMAN, daughter and two sons, Abilene; W.C. GORMAN, Dallas. - Contributed

[Transcriber’s Note:  This obituary was preceded by a rather lengthy poem which was not transcribed.]

Fire Destroys Narry Building Wednesday Night

            The J.D. NARRY building, formerly known as the Redden building on the corner north from W.H. SMITH dry goods store, was destroyed by fire on Wednesday night.  The fire was discovered at 2:30 o’clock after it had gained considerable headway.  Firemen were able to confine the blaze within the walls where it originated, but the woodwork and contents of the building were destroyed.

            The building was owned by J.D. NARRY, formerly of this city, now of Gorman.  Mr. NARRY was preparing to move here and open a restaurant in the building, already having moved a portion of his goods.  He was to open next Monday.

            Hardy CADDELL occupied the front of the building with a grocery stock, which he was closing out.  Lee HOLLAND occupied the rear portion with meat market fixtures, however, Mr. HOLLAND had been closed for some time, the fixtures standing idle.

            Mr. NARRY and Mr. HOLLAND were insured.  It is understood that Mr. CADDELL carried no insurance on stock.


Stover Brothers Away to Work

            Carroll STOVER left a few days ago for Oklahoma where he will represent the Southwestern Engraving Co., of Fort Worth this season, selling cuts for high school and college annuals, also invitations, class rings, etc.  STOVER represented the same company in the state of Mississippi last season.

            Sherrod STOVER left Wednesday for Panhandle where he will teach as assistant in the department of vocational agriculture the coming season at a very attractive salary.  STOVER will live 20 miles from Panhandle and will drive a school truck in each morning and return in the afternoon, over a brick highway.  His situation for the season is a good one.


A number of Gorman people were here for the funeral of W.C. STREETY on Wednesday, among them being Rev. and Mrs. Seba KIRKPATRICK and daughters, Jewell Jean and Faye; Rev. and Mrs. WALKER, Dr. and Mrs. KIMBLE; Mr. And Mrs. MORROW and Dave NEAL.

Mrs. H.M. EVANS of Wichita Falls is a guest this week in the home of her parents, Mr. And Mrs. B.J. PITTMAN.  Mr. EVANS is expected down in a few days.

Mr. and Mrs. Wesley SHOOK are at home after an absence of several days.  Mr. SHOOK bought merchandise for De Leon Hardware & Furniture Co., at Houston and Waco.  Mrs. SHOOK and children visited her parents at Bremond.

Mrs. A.C. COZBY and baby, Eloise, now of Dallas, have been visiting in the home of her mother, Mrs. Emma COONER, this week.

Mr. and Mrs. H.B. BOSWELL have gone to Harrold, Wilbarger county, where they will teach, Mr. BOSWELL, vocational agriculture and Mrs. BOSWELL, fifth grade.  They studied at A. & M. College this summer.

Mrs. Roy HAMMERS and two little sons, Roy Norman and Bobbie, have been visiting in Dallas lately.

Prof. G.C. MORRIS, who teaches piano at Cisco, was home the past week end with his parents, Mr. And Mrs. C. C. MORRIS.

Mrs. J.N. CAMPBELL is at home after attending Simmons U. at Abilene, this summer.

Miss Violet TODD, who is employed by Miss Clyde COAN at Comanche, was weekend visitor with home folks.

Mrs. Will KING has returned from a visit with her son, Moody KING and family at Abilene.

Mr. And Mrs. Marshall GREER of Abilene were Sunday visitors of his parents, Mr. And Mrs. Calvin GREER.

Dr. COPELAND from Brownfield is visiting her daughter, Mrs. J.N. CAMPBELL.

Mrs. Mary SADDLER from Spur is visiting her daughter, Mrs. Owen CAMPBELL.

Mr. And Mrs. Paul MORGAN are home from Sul Ross Teachers College, Alpine, where they studied the past several weeks.

Mrs. Chas. ROSS is home from Stephenville where she studied during the summer term of school at Tarleton College.  She will teach at Harmony this winter.

Miss Artie COLEY and mother are home for a short vacation from C.L.A., Denton, where Miss COLEY studied this summer.  She will resume her studies there at the beginning of the fall term.

Mrs. J.E. SELF and daughters, Miss Urselle and Mrs. G.W. ROLLINS and children have returned from a two weeks trip to Hot Springs, Ark., and a visit with relatives at Blue Mountain, Ark.

Misses Jamie and Willie Maud GREENWALDT, who have studied at Boulder, Colo., and Rev. Roy GREENWALDT, who pastured the Methodist church at Lovington, N.M., are expected home soon.  Misses Jamie and Willie Maud will teach again and Roy will enter Southwestern University in September.

W.C. WHITTENTON is home from Ft. Worth where he was a member of the National Guard, attached to the 36th and the 111 Medical Divisions.  His mother, Mrs. C.E. WHITTENTON lives near here.


Elmer KIRKLAND and family of Iraan are visiting friends and relatives in and around Desdemona and have had their son, Ray, in the Gorman sanitarium for an operation.  He was doing fine the last few days.

Ballard CLARK and family of McCamey are visiting at Clyde WYNN’s and also with other friends and relatives here.

Miss Opal HAY of Houston is with her mother who is ill at the sanitarium at Gorman and is also visiting Desdemona friends.

Mrs. DICKERSON is home after some weeks in the sanitarium at Gorman and is recovering from a serious operation.

Miss LeVoyce KELLEY of Victor and Miss Muriel COOPER of Bakersfield, Calif., are visiting at Clyde WYNN’s this week.

Mr. ELROD of School Hill community was visiting friends and relatives here Tuesday.

New Hope News

Mr. And Mrs. Murry SIDES and girls and Mrs. Clyde HODGES and children, visited relatives in Gorman Sunday.

Grandma HATTOX, mother of Mrs. R.S. McCHAREN, is visiting with her for a while.

A singing was given at the home of Jack BOYD last Sunday night.

Misses Enola and Wayne McCHAREN returned from summer school last week.  They attended at Tarleton.

Mr. and Mrs. John DUPRIEST and family visited friends and relatives in Dublin on Tuesday this week.


Estel SPENCER, from Cisco, was visiting with his parents Tuesday evening.

Mrs. J.E. NORWOOD and little son, Johnnie, are spending some days visiting in the home of relatives a Cleburne.

Jakehamon News

G.B. CLARK and family of McCamey are visiting in this community.  Mr. CLARK, with others, moved to McCamey with the boom at that place and stayed until the boom days were over, having been successful in the teaming business there and now will probably move back to his farm here.

W.A. LINDLEY has purchased the BROWN farm, which is adjacent to the farm he has owned for some years.  This addition has farming land as well as pasture and makes a combination that will result profitable for Mr. LINDLEY.  Mr. LINDLEY is also engaged in building a new residence.

Ralph ROBBINS has returned from the West where he was in the employ of the pipe line company as a welder.

Roy GUTHRIE has moved away and will secure employment in the West Texas oil fields.  The many friends of the family regret losing this excellent family from among us.

Miss Mozelle CLARK has been visiting with Miss Modest WEST.

Frank KING and his mother are on a rather extended vacation trip into West Texas, visiting with friends and relatives.  They will probably go into Colorado before returning.

Humble News

W.P. SLAUGHTER, our linewalker from Comyn to the Plains, and his family are home after 14 days vacation with friends and relatives.

W.M. HURST, relief operator from Ranger, (single and has a new Ford roadster) arrived on the job relieving operator Billie GILBERT, who is doing relief work at Cisco.

J.A. LYONS, chief engineer, is now sporting a new Plymouth roadster and claims he has the best car out.

D.S. FLOYD and family have returned from Mississippi where they spent their vacation.  Audie FLOYD and family spent their vacation in the same part of the country.


©2004,2005 Judith Michaels.  This transcription is the generous work of Judy Michaels taken from microfilm held by the Newspaper Collection of the University of Texas at Austin with a microfilm copy at Comanche Public Library.  The information may be used for personal research only and not for commercial purposes without specific permission.