De Leon Free Press

DeLeon, Comanche County, Texas, Friday, January 20, 1927 

Steakley-Smith Stores Now Owned by S.H. Smith

            A deal was completed on January 17th between Hiram SMITH and Bob STEAKLEY whereby Mr. SMITH became sole owner of the Steakley & Smith dry goods and grocery business located in this city.  Mr. SMITH is already in charge and the business is going forward in all departments without interruption.

            Immediately upon assuming charge of the grocery department, Mr. SMITH had work started toward completely “working over” the grocery store.  It is to be modernized along the lines of the most approved style of city grocery stores.  New display space is to be provided, pain and calsomine employed to make the interior like new, show window are to be completely made over, and in fact the interior completely changed and modernized.  Mr. SMITH is negotiating with an experienced grocer to have charge of the new store, announcement to be made later.

            Mr. STEAKLEY disposed of his interest in order to engage in the Chevrolet business with his brother, William STEAKLEY at Denison, and he has gone to Denison to take charge of his new situation.

            STEAKLEY & SMITH are both “home products.”  They learned the mercantile business in this city, and immediately following the World War, purchased the grocery store which they have continued to operate for about 10 years, adding the E.E. AKERS dry goods house to their business three years ago.  They have made a rapid rise in their business enterprises, due to an inexhaustible supply of energy and enthusiasm injected, and these same qualities will carry them to still greater success.

 Nath Nabors Had Paralytic Stroke

            Friends of Nath NABORS will hear with regret of his illness, caused by a light stroke of paralysis, which occurred while he was at work at his home last Thursday.  He is up and about, but still feels the effect of the strange malady.  It is hoped he may soon be fully recovered.

 Rt. 2 Youth Shot Toe Off With Shot Gun Recently

            Justin, the 14-year old son of J.D. Holmes of De Leon, Rt. 2, accidentally shot one of his toes off with a shot gun during Christmas week.  The young man was near Downing at the home of his uncle, J.H. HOLMES, where the accident occurred.  Several boys were near the HOLMES residence, under a shed, whistling to a covey of quail nearby, attempting to call them within shooting distance.  Young HOLMES allowed his 12 gauge shotgun to be discharged, severing the second toe of his left foot.

 Local News

L.G. HOLLAND left Wednesday for Skidmore where he will be employed by the Humble company.

 Wilton HAZZARD has gone to Skidmore to work.

 Mrs. L.B. CULPEPPER and children have gone to Walnut Springs to visit her sister, Mrs. Le Roy JACKSON.

 Born to Mr. and Mrs. Harry WARNER at Dublin on Jan. 2, a 10 pound boy.  Mrs. WARNER was formerly Miss Pearl HASLEY of this city.

 S.B. ROBINETT of De Leon Route 2, returned last week from a sanitarium at Dallas where he had several minor operations.

 Little Wilma Ray, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dave FLOYD is recovering nicely from having her tonsils removed last week.

 Mrs. Audie FLOYD is at Gorman in the sanitarium.  She is reported as being very sick.

 Houston PITTS and Jake DAVIS are here from McCAMEY at the bedside of N.E. PITTS who underwent a serious operation at the Gorman sanitarium.  He is slowly recovering.

 Comyn News

Mr. and Mrs. J.M. FERGUSON and children of Lima, Ohio, spent last week here with their relatives, H.A. WATSON and family.

 Misses Essie Mae WATSON and Doris DOGGETT of Tarleton spent the week with Miss WATSON’s father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. H.A. WATSON.

 Ector DRY left Monday to return to his work at McCAMEY after a two weeks visit with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.S. DRY.

 Kenneth CHUPP, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.G. CHUPP, had his tonsils removed last week.  His recovery was so rapid from the operation that he only missed four days from school.

 Mr. and Mrs. W.E. PULLEY are the proud parents of a baby girl, born on January ninth.

 Maxine, the little four year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey DECKER, died last Thursday night.  She had been troubled before with tonsillitis and during the last few days had an attack which did not seem serious until it very suddenly developed into diphtheria.  Despite all the attending physicians could do, the stubborn disease could not be checked.  Rev. BARRETT of Dublin conducted the funeral services and the little body was laid to rest in the Hanson cemetery at four o’clock Friday afternoon.

 Mrs. Audie FLOYD who has been ill for the past few days, became worse Tuesday and was carried to the Gorman sanitarium where she underwent an operation.

 Jakehammon News

Ragie ROBBINS, who has had a long and serious illness in the Gorman sanitarium is recovering and his friends and relatives hope to have him home soon.

 Jrs. J.T. COOPER has returned to her home in Breckenridge after visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. S.O. McKINNEY.

 Mrs. Nettie GUTHRIE is visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. O.S. ROBBINS.

 Miss Eula MOORE, who is teaching in the high school at Desdemona, has been very ill but is now recovering.

 Miss Modeen GUQUA of the St. Joe community has been visiting with her brother, Denver KING of this community.


©2004,2005 Judith Michaels.  This transcription is the generous work of Judy Michaels taken from microfilm held by the Newspaper Collection of the University of Texas at Austin with a microfilm copy at Comanche Public Library.  The information may be used for personal research only and not for commercial purposes without specific permission.