De Leon Free Press

DeLeon, Comanche County, Texas, Friday, April 24, 1925

Big ‘Tea-Pot’s’ Coming Down; Job Wrecking Begun

The task of wrecking the big water tower and tank in the middle of the main business street of the city was commenced at noon Wednesday. B.O. PATTERSON of Sulphur Springs, together with assistants, climbed up the 110 foot structure and with chisel and hammer began unriviting the top. They started where the builders finished. Piece by piece the top and side sections will be unrivited and carefully lowered and removed to one of the city’s material lots where the parts will be painted and await the coming of a bidder. The street intersections on all sides of the tank have been roped off and traffic must go around until the job is finished.

The city is over-supplied with storage capacity for water, having over 600,000 gallons storage room and with the removal of this tank will still have approximately half a million gallons storage.

White Orpington Hen Laid Enormous Egg Weighing 6 oz.

Mrs. J.L. FUNDERBURGH has a White Orpington hen that laid an egg on Thursday last week weighing six ounces. The egg measured eight and a quarter inches around the long way and seven and five-eighths inches the short way around. The average egg weighs about two and one fourth ounces. This specimen produced by Mrs. FUNDERBRUGH’s Orpington biddy was therefore about three times as large as the average.

Brother of J. Doss Miller is Dead

J. Doss MILLER, Sr. received a telegram Monday appraising him of the death of his brother, Rev. E.B. MILLER, at West Point, Miss. Death came as a result of an attack of pneumonia, on Sunday April 19 and the funeral and burial was at West Point Monday afternoon.

Deceased had been a Baptist minister for many years. He was a man of advanced scholarship, and his ministry was fruitful. Many years ago, in 1895, Rev. MILLER came to De Leon and held a revival with the Baptist Church here and there were many conversions. He visited here again in 1900.

Rev. MILLER had almost attained his 70th year, having been born in 1856. He is survived by his wife and four daughters, all of whom reside at West Point.

Cisco Physician for Eighteen Years Dies

Dr. W.R. DeWITT, resident of Cisco for 18 years, dropped dead while getting out of his car here Monday. He fell into the arms of his son-in-law, Norton GRAY, and died before he could be carried into the house.

His widow and five grown children survive him.

Roy Smith Now At Gentry & Bell’s

Roy SMITH has assumed charge of the garage department of the Gentry & Bell auto sales business and will hereafter practice auto mechanics there. The class of work Mr. SMITH is capable of doing is too well known to be questioned. He is a high class workman and this fact will doubtless cause his friends to continue their support.

Auto Tragedy Cost Lives of Two De Leon Men As Nitroglycerin Truck Wrecks On Curve

While a party of four De Leon men were making a sharp turn on the Ft. Worth highway in a White truck a mile north of Tolar early Wednesday morning, the machine overturned, plunging off an embankment about five or six feet high. From the wreckage were removed two dead bodies and two badly injured.

The dead: W.L. LITCHFORD, local manager of the Independent Torpedo Co., and nitroglyceria shooter. Terry YORK, only son of Mr. and Mrs. G.H. YORK, restaurant proprietor of this city.

The accident occurred at 12:03 o’clock, indicated by the fact that Mr. LITCHFORD’s watch stopped at that hour. The party is said to have been enroute to Ft. Worth, or perhaps Glen Rose. They left De Leon at about 8:00 o’clock in a company truck. Mr. LITCHFORD, at the time of the accident, was seated beside Terry YORK in the only seat provided on the machine. YORK was driving.

The two surviving members of the party are Johnnie STONE and Hulet (Dock) SHORT. STONE was riding the left and SHORT the right fender. The machine reached the railroad crossing a mile north of Tolar, got safely across the track, then went over the side as YORK attempted to negotiate the sharp left turn. SHORT, on the near side, was caught with his leg beneath the machine and held fast. STONE, on the off side, was thrown clear of the wreckage.

LITCHFORD came to his death by having his neck broken and a bad wound on the top of his head, either wound being of sufficient severity to have caused his death. He was also bruised about the left side.

YORK was killed be being crushed through the hips. He also had a cut in the back of his head and a severe cut in the shoulder and was bruised about the body. LITCHFORD perhaps never realized for a moment what had happened. YORK is said to have called for help for a short time before he expired.

STONE received a badly bruised shoulder and leg but his injuries are not serious. He is confined to his home. SHORT received a badly crushed leg and bruises about the body and is also under the care of physicians.

As soon as the accident occurred STONE, seeing that he could do nothing to release the three men from the wreckage, and suffering badly from his injuries, returned a short distance toward Tolar and waked three women who went with him to the scene of the wreck and helped to lift the machine sufficiently to release SHORT. Soon the neighborhood was aroused and others came. Before a great while fifty people were gathered. Poles were used to prize the heavy nitroglycerin truck from its victims.

Numerous people from here went to the scene upon being telephoned and Undertaker C.H. SHARP brought the bodies back from Granbury next morning, ambulance having carried them there where YORK was partially embalmed.

The LITCHFORD funeral was held Thursday morning at the residence at 9:00 o’clock, Rev. S. KIRKPATRICK in charge. Mr. LITCHFORD was born at Russelville, Ky., where his parents still reside. He formerly lived at Chanute, Kan., and it was here his body was shipped Thursday morning for burial. He was 35 years, 6 months and 7 days of age. Two brothers live at Bartlettville, Okla. He came to De Leon six years ago and has been engaged in the hazardous occupation of nitroglycerin shooter and manager for the Independent Torpedo Co. here. He was competent in his line and had much experience with high explosives before coming here. LITCHFORD was born of Methodist parentage and himself joined the Methodist Church when a boy. He was an Elk and his membership in this lodge was at Ranger. His heartbroken wife has the deepest sympathy of their numerous friends here.

Terry YORK was born August 12, 1900, being therefore a little less than 25 years of age. He was born here and has spent his life in this city. At the age of twelve years he made a profession of faith in God and at that time united with the Methodist church. He is the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Howard YORK. Terry was married some three years ago to Miss Janice TINDALL. Being an only son he was the idol of his parents who feel the weight of sorrow at his tragic end. He had a circle of friends who are loyal to his memory and who followed his bier to the Methodist Church Thursday afternoon at 3:00 o’clock, where Pastor KIRKPATRICK spoke words of comfort to the hearts made heavy with sorrow. Burial followed at De Leon cemetery.

Baby is Tossed Thru Windshield Of Car, Unhurt

When Mrs. Eula McIVER and 3 year old baby brother, accompanied by Miss Nettie NEAL, went for a short drive in the gas company truck shortly after 11:00 Sunday morning, Miss McIVER accidentally drove the machine against the abutment of a culvert fifty yards north of the home of Mrs. J.H. BUCHAN, on the Dublin Highway, wrecking the machine and injuring both young ladies.

Miss NEAL was thrown partly thru the windshield, and the child in her lap was thrown entirely through the glass and out on the fender. She sustained cuts and bruises, but it seems a miracle that the baby was unhurt. Miss McIVER sustained a badly sprained and bruised ankle and was otherwise cut and bruised.

The car was damaged to the extent of about $75.00.

Rippetoe Chosen Vice-Pres District Singing Convent’n

At the meeting of the Central State Singing Convention, held at Hamilton last Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Ernest RIPPETOE was elected vice-president of the Convention for the ensuing year. Will YOUNG of Stephenville was elected president. J. Luther STAGNER, formerly of Sidney, Tex., was the retiring president, Mr. STAGNER having held this position the past twelve years.

The Hamilton meeting entertained some 5,000 people. The next meeting of the convention will be with the city of Stephenville, the third Sunday in April, next year.


Mr. and Mrs. John TERRY of Munday were here Thursday for the funeral of his nephew, Terry YORK.

Mr. and Mrs. Paul MORGAN of Brownwood were here Thursday attending the YORK funeral.

Gayle TOLAND was home from Brownwood Sunday where he is attending school at Daniel Baker College.

Mrs. COX, aged mother of B.F. COX, has gone to Hico to spend several months with relatives. Mr. COX accompanied his mother there.

E.W. OWEN returned the last of the week from a brief visit at his former home, Athens, where his father was seriously ill.

Mr. and Mrs. Lewis DICKSON and children came down from Roby this week for a visit with their daughter, Miss Opal, and other relatives and friends.

Mrs. Maggie MORGAN, who is employed with the Dependable Store at Rising Star, has been spending several days guest of her sister, Mrs. G.H. YORK.

Mr. and Mrs. H.J. BUTLER, who reside in Humphrey Addition, left Wednesday morning for Sanger, Texas, to spend two months in the home of their son, B.F. BUTLER.

Miss Grace BARTON was carried to Gorman Sanitarium last Friday suffering with inflammatory rheumatism. After two days treatment and x-ray photographs had been made of the affected limb, she was brought home and continues quite ill, showing no improvement. She is at her room at Bills Hotel under the care of her sister, Mrs. Autrey SELF.

Mrs. Bryant HOWELL suffered a nervous breakdown recently and was at Gorman for treatment. She returned home and upon advice of physicians has gone to San Antonio to enter Moody Sanitarium for treatment. She will be a portion of time with her sister, Mrs. LYNCH, 1623 Monterey St. She will perhaps be away two or three months. Friends hope for her speedy recovery.

Mrs. Mollie Eads of San Hill Died on Tuesday Night

Mrs. Mollie EADS, mother of Jim BROWN of this city, passed away at her home near San Hill, about seven miles west of De Leon at 8:30 o’clock Tuesday evening, April 21, 1925, following an illness of five weeks from pneumonia. She had apparently recovered from the severe attack when she suffered a relapse, and died.

Mrs. EADS lived in this community more than twenty-five years. She was born in the Old South during the period of the Civil War, being 62 years of age when death claimed her. Her aged parents, Grandpa John DAVIS and wife, both blind, survive her, these old people residing in the San Hill community.

Mrs. EADS was mother of six children, all of whom survive her. They are: Mrs. Jim BROWN of this city, Jesse and Carrol EADS and Mrs. Lizzie MOORE of Beatti, Milton EADS of Stamford and Mrs. H.S. STRICKLAND, Abilene. Deceased had been a faithful member of the Baptist church for many years and Rev. W.L. SKAGGS conducted the funeral service, the burial being at Copperas Creek cemetery Wednesday afternoon, a large number of sorrowing relatives and friends accompanying the remains to their last resting place.

North Ward Fire Poster Prize Winners

The following is a list of those of the North Ward who were awarded prizes. The attitude of co-operation and liberality on the part of the business men was highly appreciated by the teachers.

1st Grade: D.L. MERRIT, 1st prize; Fern BLACK, 2nd; Chrystel HOLLEMAN, 3rd.

2nd Grade: Ruby Lee TAYLOR, 1st prize; Ida TALBERT, 2nd prize.

3rd Grade: Bob HASLEY, 1st prize; Frances NARRY, 2nd prize.

4th Grade: Mattie BLANTON, 1st prize; O.B. REED, 2nd.

5th Grade: Ruby WIDEMAN, 1st prize; Chrystine NARRY 2nd.

6th Grade: Mattie RIDDLE, 1st prize; Albert COZBY, 2nd.

7th Grade: Woodward JACKSON, 1st prize; Dale HOWARD, 2nd.


.©2004,2005 Judith Michaels.  This transcription is the generous work of Judy Michaels taken from microfilm held by the Newspaper Collection of the University of Texas at Austin with a microfilm copy at Comanche Public Library.  The information may be used for personal research only and not for commercial purposes without specific permission.