De Leon Free Press

DeLeon, Comanche County, Texas, Friday, February 27, 1925

Mrs. O.P. Fisher Called By Death

Elizabeth Frances (DRURY) FISHER, wife of O.P. FISHER of De Leon Route 4, died at their home eight miles south east of De Leon at 3:25 o’clock Tuesday of this week following a week illness of pneumonia. A brave and determined fight was made to save the life of this wife and mother, all to no avail. Her suffering was too intense for human endurance, and she passed into the realm beyond.

Mrs. FISHER was born in Parker county, Texas, January 20, 1884 and was hence just past forty years of age. She was married to Mr. FISHER in Callahan County about twenty years ago. Eight children, two boys and six girls, were born into their home, these ranging in ages from three to eighteen years, who, with the husband and father, are left heartbroken and lonely, to mourn her passing. Mrs. FISHER was of a family of eight sisters and five brothers, all but three sisters being present at the funeral services. These live in Callahan county at Tul?, Swisher county, at Meadow, Texas, and at Healdton, Okla.

Mrs. FISHER was converted in 1915, at Suez, and joined the Missionary Baptist church, in a meeting conducted by Rev. W.L. SCAGGS, and it was Rev. SCAGGS who came and stood by, the graveside and spoke words of com..[illegible] of the life that is passed and gone, and of comfort and consolation to those whose hearts bear the burden of sadness.

The funeral and burial was at De Leon cemetery at 4:00 o’clock Wednesday afternoon. Heartfelt sympathy is extended the sorrowing husband and orphaned children in their hour of darkness and sorrow.

Soldier Returns After Spending Two Years In Manila

Olen SPIEGAL, son of Mrs. W.B. NANCE and brother of Mrs. Lee BILLS, is home for a visit after being away the past five years. SPIEGAL spent the past two years in Manila, P.I., going for trips into China during the time. He tells an interesting story of life in the tropics and of his experience abroad.

Mr. SPIEGAL is in the warrant rank which conducts the business end of the army, provisioning, outfitting, and transporting. His work, largely is clerical. He has been twenty-three years with the regular army, and will be retired at the end of thirty years on full pay for life, unless retired for physical disability sooner. He goes from here to Vancouver Barrack, Portland, to report for duty March 15th.

Humble Oil Co. Building 200-Mile Pipe Line, Big Lake Oil Field to Comyn

The biggest thing out of doors in the De Leon section just now is the operation of the Humble Oil Co. in laying a pipe line from Big Lake to Comyn. Thursday morning a camp was established at the McCHAREN farm, three miles south of town, where a hundred and fifty men, comprising the ditching and laying crews, are encamped. The busy scene about the big camp reminds one of other days in this section when the wealth of money was being expended in drilling and pipe line operations during 1919 and 1920.

Mr. J.A. KAMERER, manager of construction on the line was in town early Thursday and stated to Free Press that his crew would complete an 80 mile unit of the work in about two months, this extending from Comyn to Coleman. The 150 men build about three fourths of a mile a day. The camp, now established at McCHAREN’s will be moved about every eight miles, as the work progresses………….

Comyn, it is learned, is what the Humble Company terms the North Terminal for all their operations in north central Texas. All the oil produced in the Wichita Falls, Burkburnett, Electra, Ranger, Caddo, Breckenridge, Pioneer and Desdemona districts, which is taken by this company, passes through the Comyn terminal, it is said more than 100,000 barrels daily at present, and the Big Lake output will increase this figure………

Grandmother of Miss Ripley Died

Miss Gladys Ripley was away at Comanche last Friday attending the funeral of her grandmother, Mrs. J.C. GREER, who died at the home of her son, J.N. GREER, in that city Thursday evening at 6 o’clock. The funeral and burial was at Mercer’s Gap at 2 p.m. Friday.

The good lady, well known in Comanche and throughout a large portion of the country, had reached the advanced age of 74 years when death came. She had resided in the county for 23 years, coming here from Delta county. She was a native of Georgia.

Besides J.N. GREER, Comanche rural carrier, she is survived by another son, Albert GREER, of Brownwood, and a daughter, Mrs. J.C. PENNINGTON of O’Donnell. Messrs. GREER and PENNINGTON were callers at Free Press early in the week.

Enlarge Building For New Business

Mrs. J.B. JEFFREY stated to Free Press early in the week that they were having an addition built to their building just across the street opposite Steakley Filling Station, east, and will in the very near future open a grocery stock, cold drink and lunch counter, etc. The place is directly on the two highways and immediately opposite two filling stations, Steakley and Highway Filling Station, also a block from the tourist park. It seems ideally located to catch the tourist trade. Lunches will be prepared to be taken out as well as served. A system of sign-ads will be put out on highways leading in all directions. The business bids fair to prove a splendid success.

Fire Destroyed Residence in Heath Addn. Monday

At about 9:00 o’clock Monday evening fire of unknown origin was discovered in a residence in Heath Addition and had gained great headway before the alarm was given, in fact the building was perhaps half burned before the fire truck was on the scene. Two strings of hose were laid and the flames quickly subdued.

Roy SPRUILL, who lived in the house for several months had fortunately just moved out that afternoon and the building was unoccupied. It was owned by A.C. MARTIN and insured for the amount of $1250.00. The value of the building was several hundred dollars more than the insurance carried. The loss is regrettable.

Mrs. Robinson Opens Candy Shop

Mrs. Hazel ROBINSON, wife of a Magnolia operator, has opened a candy shop at De Leon Meat Market and will have a fresh supply of fine homemade candy on sale each day. Mrs. ROBINSON has demonstrated her ability as a candy-maker for the past months wholesaling to local merchants. She is offering many varieties of delicious sweets, an ad giving detailed list being found elsewhere in this paper.

Those who have tried the Robinson cream and chocolate bonbons, peanut brittle, coconut and pecan fudge, peppermint chips, etc. have nothing but praise for the line. Her prices are reasonable. Mrs. ROBINSON caters to party orders.

Rook Party Given

The Rook Club met with Mrs. Curtis GREGORY, Friday, February 20th, from 3 to 5 p.m. The house was tastefully decorated for a George Washington party. Six tables were arranged and five games of Rook were enjoyed. Small hatchets filled with bonbons were given as favors. Mary Louise LOWE and Emma Joe BREWER assisted Mrs. GREGORY in serving a delightful salad course to the regular members and the following guests: Mesdames MAHON, BUCHAN, LOWE, BREWER, DUKE, WHALEY, GRIZZELL, NEILL, NUNNELLEY, HENSON, EASTERLINE, H. SMITH and Messes Eva LONG and WALKER. – Contributed

O.B. Club

Many days ago there was called a meeting of the Senior boys and a club was organized to be known as the O.B. Club. The members decided that this should be a secret club, the secret about it is to find out what O.B. stands for.

This club has many rules and regulations, more strict regulations than the athletic field. We have our sheriff appointed from time to time.

The O.B. Club elected the following officers:

Ewill LIGHTFOOT, president; Edmond GRIZZELL, vice-president; Moody KING, secretary; Clifton THOMAS, reporter.

There was much controversy over the selection of a motto. There were three special meetings called before a definite motto could be settled upon.

The next most important job was to find a place to meet. The president with the hearty co-operation of a few members, rented a nice hall down in town and the club has had its regular Friday night meetings there until a fishing trip was planned for last Friday night, down on the Leon. The members present had the best time of their lives, caught all the fish that they could eat while they were on the river.

A club of this kind has never been organized by the senior boys before and each and every member is very proud of his membership. With the club just as it is, you cannot become a member of the club by simply becoming a male member of the Senior class, there are requirements to meet and we are very glad to say that each and every member has met and is meeting the special requirements. – Clifton THOMAS, reporter

Carroll Howard Better

Carroll, the six year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar HOWARD happened to a serious accident last week by being hit in the eye with a rock from a negro shooter by a playmate. Friday afternoon he had a hemorrhage in his eye and was rushed to the Blackwell Sanitarium at Gorman, where his eye was treated with the hope that the blood would be absorbed. Monday afternoon his condition became very serious and he was operated on and about two spoonfuls of blood were taken from his eye, after which he is recovering nicely.

Sgt. Wilbur Farrow Visits Home Folks After Seven Years

Sgt. Wilbur FARROW, with the medical corps, U.S. Army, now attached to Fitsimmons Hospital, army tubercular institution at Denver, obtained a fifteen-day furlough and visited with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.M. FARROW on De Leon Rt. 2. Young FARROW entered the army immediately upon reaching his majority and is now serving his third regular "hitch" with the army. He went over seas with the medical corps in the world war and saw several months service abroad. He has had a most varied experience in these seven years.

At Fitsimmons Hospital now are some three thousand patients. Occasionally a death occurs and it was such an occurrence that brought young FARROW to Texas, an ex-soldier having died and his remains were sent to Hempstead, Texas. It is the custom for an escort of honor to be sent with the dead, and FARROW was thus assigned. It was the fir time he had been home since he enlisted seven years ago. He is 27 years old and unmarried.

©2004,2005 Judith Michaels.  This transcription is the generous work of Judy Michaels taken from microfilm held by the Newspaper Collection of the University of Texas at Austin with a microfilm copy at Comanche Public Library.  The information may be used for personal research only and not for commercial purposes without specific permission.