The Comanche Chief and Pioneer Exponent, Comanche, Texas, 19 July 1918

"Uncle" Joe Neely Buried Here Monday

Uncle Joe NEELY, for fifty years a resident of Comanche county, and who passed away at his home at Hamlin, Texas, Sunday, July 14th, was buried here Monday at 5 p.m., Rev. HOLLAND conducting the services.

Joseph Mercer NEELY was the son of Fletcher H. and Mrs. Sarah E. NEELY, and was born January 14, 1856, near Newburg, in this county. Growing to manhood under typical pioneer conditions he was married to Mary CUNNINGHAM, daughter of Capt. And Mrs. CUNNINGHAM on March 30, 1875, and for thirty-one they resided in Comanche county, moving to Texico in 1906, later moving to Hamlin where Mr. NEELY passed away after an illness of many months.

He is the second of the four children of Mr. and Mrs. F.H. NEELY to pass away, his brother, R.V. NEELY, having passed away and two sisters, Mrs. J.B. BURTON and Mrs. A.L. MILLS surviving him. Of his children who grew to man and womanhood, all are living save Mrs. Donia DUDLEY. Those living are: Mrs. Una LAKE of Mercers Gap, Mary STEVENS of Dallas, Jewell GREGG of Mineral Wells, Judge PRATER of Hamlin, Lena Belle BAKER of Ballinger, Elizabeth NEELY of Hamlin, Joe NEELY, Jr., of El Paso, and Tom NEELY of Waco.

Mr. NEELY united with the Baptist Church at Newburg in 1874 and lived a consistent member until his death.

Few more useful men have ever lived in Comanche county than Mr. NEELY. As a young man he put forth the efforts of his life to developing the country from a wilderness infested with lawless characters to an inhabitable land of plenty and as the head of a family he devoted his life to the rearing of a generation of men and women such as reflect credit upon their parents, their maker and their country.

If the supreme reward is promised for him who serves best his Creator by living a life of extreme usefulness there can be no doubt but that to that reward Mr. NEELY has gone. For his life was one filled with unselfish usefulness in the development of his country, the spreadings of the teachings of the Master by precept, and unselfish devotion to those for whom he was responsible.

On his life too much good could never be said and in his passing out our country loses one of those men who have been so essentially necessary to the welfare of mankind.

We join the great host of friends in expressing to the sorrowing relatives and dear ones our sincere sympathy.

With the Local Board

The Local Board will physically examine all 1918 registrants put in Class One on July 24, 25, and 26. All registrants should be on notice to watch for their notice when it appears.

Of the 154 registrants of June 5, 1918, a classification shows 122 in Class One. Of those getting deferred classification, several are already in service and a few are boys who have been married a couple of years.

On July 23 fifteen men will be sent to Camp Travis on the Cotton Belt Ry. Seventeen have been summoned from which fifteen will be taken.


Marriage Licenses Issued

SW.J. FRENCH and Miss Evelyn WEEMS


Visits of the Stork

Born to Mr. and Mrs.:

Rufus SMITH, Comanche, boy

Albert CORBELL, Comanche, boy

Willis KING, Comanche, girl

S.R. KEARBY, Comanche, girl

Henry R. GANTZ, Comanche, R.5, girl

Archie DUNLAP, Comanche R.3, girl

M. ODOM, Comanche R.4, girl

Perry J. TALLY, Gustine, girl

Deaths Reported

Chess ROACH, near Proctor

Boy Loses Toes Under Car Wheels

Wednesday morning just after he had gotten off the early morning train here, W.T. SKINNER, aged 23, had the misfortune to fall partly under the moving train and lose all the toes of his right foot.

Mr. SKINNER had been to Dallas to try to enter the navy and had been rejected and had gone to Wichita Falls where he had secured a position in the Glass factory and was returning to Comanche to wind up his affairs. He had gotten off the train and just about the time the train started he remembered leaving a bundle on the seat and climbed to a window to ask a passenger to hand it to him.

As the train started to pick up speed he slipped and fell under the car, his foot going far enough under to permit the wheel to catch it and cut off all the toes except the big one on his right foot.

Mr. SKINNER was taken to the Company hospital at Dallas where he will receive treatment. He is a single man and his parents live near Comanche.


Uncle Lum DANIELS was accidentally run over by a car Sunday afternoon near his home. The car was driven by Miss Geneva MIDDLETON, and it was during a rain storm. He is in a very bad condition, although not serious.

Sam and Edgar REID will go to Fort Worth in a few days to seek employment.

Personal Mention

Tom and John KEITH are visiting their niece, Mrs. R.M. CLIFT, this week.

Otho ROBERSON left Wednesday for Fort Worth where he has entered the navy.

Mrs. I.C. GAGE has returned from a monthís visit with her children at Valley Mills and Gatesville.

Mrs. Martin HILLIARD and children are visiting Mrs. HILLIARDís mother, Mrs. DOGGETT in Goldthwaite.

Mrs. H.M. MONTGOMERY and children of Fort Stockton are visiting Mrs. MONTGOMERYís mother, Mrs. J.N. FARMER.

Colie DILLARD has returned from New York where he has been in the navy. He has completed a four year term and has reenlisted for another period.

Miss Agness GRAHAM returned Sunday from Korea where she has been in missionary work for the past five years. Miss GRAHAM will spend the summer with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.P. GRAHAM.

©2004 Judith Michaels.  This transcription is the generous work of Judy Michaels taken from microfilm held by the Newspaper Collection of the University of Texas at Austin with a microfilm copy at Comanche Public Library.  The information may be used for personal research only and not for commercial purposes without specific permission.