The Comanche Chief, Comanche, Texas, 26 March 1881
Tommy LACY, our industrious apprentice, is confined to his bed with the measles.
A fine, marble-top, center table was raffled off, Thursday. Deputy Sheriff SHERRILL was the fortunate winner.
Deputy Tax Assessor LUPTON having resigned, Mr. C.B. MASON has been appointed in his place. Mr. HUSTON could not have made a better selection.
Mother SHIPTON, in her predictions, says all young ladies who shall be taken with measles during this year, shall die old maids. Several young ladies in Comanche are contemplating leaving until the present rage of the disease is over.
THE FLAMES! Our Town a Victim to the Firey Element….The Northwest Corner of the Square, Consisting of Four Business Houses, Destroyed
Tuesday night, at 10:30 o’clock, only a few minutes after the last light had been extinguished upon the square, two gentlemen, who had been out in the suburbs, arrived up town just in time to see an immense flame burst forth from the dry goods store belonging to Messrs. ELLIOTT & WRIGHT, on the northwest corner of the square. The alarm was sounded immediately, and a large force of citizens and the hook and ladder truck were soon upon the ground, vigorously fighting the flames. The rapidity with which the house was consumed was marvelous, and the fire rapidly spread to the adjoining stores, occupied by HAMILTON & HAMMON, grocery dealers, and the small grocery house of ELLIOTT & WRIGHT’s. It was but a few moments before these houses were burned to the ground. These buildings were all built of lumber of the most combustible kind, being of pine. This fact, together with the inflammable contents of the buildings, caused the fire to rage with great heat and ferocity. The flames soon spread to the two-story concrete house known as the Fossett building, owned by Mrs. Sam FOSSETT, of Meridien. The stock and fixtures of the Grange saloon in this building were quickly removed, but the building was a total loss.
At this stage of the fire it was very apparent that the whole block of buildings upon the west side of the Square was in imminent danger of being consumed, and the only way in which to stay the progress of the flames was to tear down the next building in their course, which was the frame grocery store of Messrs. HILL, MOORE & Co. To this task the firemen set to with a vim, quickly pulling the building to the ground, and thus stopping the fire for want of fuel.
Meanwhile, however, when the flames were at their highest, several merchants became alarmed at the almost hopeless situation of affairs and removed the goods from their stores. HILL, MOORE & Co.’s large stock of dry goods was greatly damaged by the removal, and their groceries almost ruined by the tearing down of the building.
J.W. STONE’s saddlery shop and a building owned by Dr. REDDEN and used as a gun shop, caught fire several times from sparks, but were extinguished.
Sheriff YATES, on Saturday last, arrested James ROBINSON, otherwise known as "Whistling Jim", who is indicted for stealing a horse from Alf. COKER, October last. He was placed under bond of $1000 to secure his appearance at the next District court.
Deputy Sheriff SHERRILL, on Tuesday last, arrested T.A. SUBLETT, in the neighborhood of Sipe Springs, upon a capias from Johnson county, charging him with assault and battery. He gave bond.
Mr. A.C. DANIEL was arrested late yesterday afternoon, upon a charge of slandering Mrs. McKEE.
©2004 Judith Michaels. This transcription is the generous work of Judy Michaels taken from microfilm held by the Newspaper Collection of the University of Texas at Austin with a microfilm copy at Comanche Public Library. The information may be used for personal research only and not for commercial purposes without specific permission.