The Comanche Chief, Comanche, Texas, 5 March 1881


Mr. G.W. JONES and Mrs. Sarah JONES were united in the holy bonds of wedlock, by County Judge WILLIAMSON, in the courthouse on Tuesday last.

Took A Tumble

A horse fell into a well, at Constable HUSE’s residence, Wednesday night. The animal was taken out, and though considerably bruised, is still living.

Sentenced to the Penitentiary

Shade WALDON was sentenced to serve two years in the state penitentiary, on Monday last by the District court for burglary, he having entered Mr. Clayte CARNES’ house and taken therefrom one side of bacon.

Sad Accident

Last Monday morning Mr. J.W. O’DELL, in attempting to get out of his wagon, made a misstep and fell to the ground dislocating his backbone. He was cared for by friends until he could be removed to his home in the country.

Death of Mrs. Yeargin

The many friends of this estimable lady were made sad by the news of her death, which event occurred at Eastland. Her remains were brought to Comanche and interred in the city cemetery. [rest of article is torn off]


Mr. Walter CUNNINGHAM is up from his recent spell of sickness we are happy to note.

Mrs. J.E. CANAN has closed her school at Dublin, and will proceed to Eureka Springs, Ark., accompanied by her little daughter, Adrin.

We regret very much to lose Uncle Charley STINSON from our town. He has been the agent and manager of the A.T. & P. Mail company’s stage office at this place since its establishment here. He will make friends where ever he goes.

The Trial of James O’Dell

The case of the State vs. James O’DELL, indicted for the murder of McKEE, was given to the jury, late Saturday afternoon. The jury retired, and about an hour afterward, returned and informed the judge that it was impossible for them to agree. The judge remanded them back to their rooom. On Monday morning the jury had not yet decided upon a verdict, and after four day’s confinement, and there being no prospect of agreement, was dismissed late Tuesday afternoon. This case was one of unusual interest, the brutal outraging of Mrs. McKEE, while her husband was absent, and his subsequent murder, and the horrible manner in which it was perpetrated, being of a hellish character seldom if ever equaled. James and Mack O’DELL were accused and arrested for the crime, and secured a severance of their cases. Mac’s case was continued until next court. How the jury in Jim’s case stood, we have been unable to learn definitely, as the jurors agreed among themselves not to tell.

©2004 Judith Michaels.  This transcription is the generous work of Judy Michaels taken from microfilm held by the Newspaper Collection of the University of Texas at Austin with a microfilm copy at Comanche Public Library.  The information may be used for personal research only and not for commercial purposes without specific permission.