The Comanche Chief, Comanche, Texas, 26 February 1880
There were two deaths in our little town last Saturday. One of them was a four year old daughter of Mr. Wm. CARNES and the other a three-day old infant of Mr. John M. CLOWER’s. The bereaved parents have our sympathies.
Mr. VERDON’s new flouring mill is being roofed and it will be a great addition to our town when completed. It’s a two story building, with a six foot attic and basement, and is substantially built of rock. The roof is of iron.
Mr. John S. JOHNSTON, is spending a few days at home.
Capt. J.J. PORTER has removed his family to his farm in the eastern edge of Brown county.
Mr. J.B. HALL has recovered from a severe attack of sickness, and is able to resume his daily avocation, we are glad to see.
We had the pleasure of meeting Rev. John A. McMURRAY last week. He is of the Presbyterian denomination, and will hereafter preach in Comanche one Sunday of each month.
Rev. J.T. HARRIS departed for Dallas, Saturday, where he will attend the State Baptist Association, which is investigating the Buckner-Link affair.
Sandy CHILTON has gone off on a tour of recreation, to Dallas, Fort Worth, and Denton. We wish him bon voyage.
©2004 Judith Michaels. This transcription is the generous work of Judy Michaels taken from microfilm held by the Newspaper Collection of the University of Texas at Austin with a microfilm copy at Comanche Public Library. The information may be used for personal research only and not for commercial purposes without specific permission.